View of the Fredrik-Fischer-Myer family mausoleum in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery.
Tarrytown Cemetery was incorporated as a public graveyard in 1849. Author Washington Irving was interred there in 1859. The town honored Irving’s request that the graveyard change its name to "Sleepy Hollow Cemetery." It is approximately 90 acres in size. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. A wide range of public figures are buried there: John Archbold, a critical early director of the Standard Oil Company; Andrew Carnegie, steel magnate (founder of U.S. Steel) and philanthropist; Walter Chrysler. founder of the Chrysler Corporation; Samuel Gompers, co-founder of the American Federation of Labor and its long-time president; Walter S. Gurnee, a mayor of Chicago; Washington Irving, author of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "Rip Van Winkle"; William Rockefeller, co-founder of Standard Oil Company; Henry Villard, president of the Northern Pacific Railway; and Oswald Garrison Villard, co-founder of the NAACP.
The Dutch Reformed Church (Sleepy Hollow), better known as the Old Dutch Church, was constructed in 1697. It is the oldest existing church and the 15th oldest extant building in the state of New York. Washington Irving made the church famous when he prominently mentioned in "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow." The church and its five-acre cemetery (known as the "Old Dutch Church Burying Ground") were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. It is still the property of the Reformed Church of the Tarrytowns, which hosts services there on special occasions.
Tagged: , Sleepy Hollow , New York state , cemeterySome local news is curated - Original might have been posted at a different date/ time! Click the source link for details.